* Threatened or Endangered
: Antilocapra americana
: Southern Saskatchewan and Alberta south to Sonora and Baja California
: Grasses, forbes and browse plants
: Weight 75 to 145 lbs.
: Least Concern
• The overall population in the early 1900s was reduced drastically due to overhunting. With proper management, numbers have rebounded, and most populations are doing well.
• Three extreme-southern subspecies are endangered.
• This is the fastest land mammal in North America and nearly the fastest in the world, second only to the cheetah. Adult animals can run up to 61 mph.
• Their large eyes give them excellent vision, which has been shown to be the equivalent of a human looking through 8X binoculars.
• Pronghorn are built for speed, not jumping, and their range is sometimes dictated by fences.
• They are also called prairie goats, speed goats, or simply goats.