* Threatened or Endangered
Amur Tiger *
: Panthera tigris altaica
: The forest and bush-covered mountains of eastern Russia, China, and North Korea.
: Carnivorous diet consisting of deer, wild pig and occasionally fish.
: Body length is 2 meters with the tail adding another meter. Weight up to 660 pounds
• Commonly known as the Siberian Tiger.
• Numbers are dropping due to deforestation, poaching, and depletion of prey species.
• This apex predator is one of the largest cats on the planet.
• The Amur tiger’s coat is lighter in color than other tiger species and is also thicker to protect it against cold weather.
• There are only estimated to be 265 to 486 Amur tigers living in the wild today. This is up from the estimate of fewer than 50 in the 1940s, but a lot of work still needs to be done to protect the species.